What is the Solar Oven Challenge?
GreenLearning Canada hosts this delectable renewable energy challenge for Canadian classes every year which challenges participants to build, test, and bake with solar ovens. Students use the solar oven construction plan provided by re-energy.ca, or they design their own plans. Teachers register their classes—which in the past have ranged from grade 3 through to grade 12, and from science classes to environmental clubs—to be eligible to win prizes and certificates.
We hope to see you for the 2014 Solar Oven Challenge!
Deadline for registration: May 16, 2014
Deadline for submission: June 6, 2014
Congratulations to the 2013 Winners!
HONOURS WITH DISTINCTION
- Ernestown Secondary School: Grade 11-12 Energy Tech and Grade 10 Science Classes; Odessa, ON. Teacher: Kevin Firth
- École Mark R. Isfeld Secondary: Sciences Naturelles 9 (French Immersion Grade 9 Science), Courtenay, BC; Teacher: Lauren Walker
- Wilkinson Public School: Grade 5; Toronto, ON; Teacher: Erica Cameron
- Colquitz Middle School: Grade 7; Victoria, BC; Teacher: Shelley Smith
- Eastwood Secondary School: The IMPACT Club; Kitchener, ON; Teacher: Dan Enticott
- King Edward Public School: Grade 7 Science; Toronto, ON; Teacher: Sonja Simic
- Robert H. Lagerquist Public School: Grade 6/Eco-club: Brampton, ON; Teachers: Gregg Crossman and Nichole Cornacchia
- École élémentaire catholique St-Louis: Classes 6e/7e and 7e; Penetanguishene, ON; Teacher: Pierre L. Moreau
- St. Mark Separate School: Grade 5/6; Mississauga, ON; Teacher: Anne Paquin
- Scott Central Public School: Grade 7 Science; Sandford, ON; Teacher: Marianne Laidlaw
- Stratford Northwestern Secondary: Grade 11 SVN 3E; Stratford, ON; Teacher: Leah Challenger
Congratulations to everyone who participated. See the submissions including photographs in the 2013 showcase!